There’s nothing quite as personal as a photo gift, especially if you put some thought into what kind of photo you want to give the other person. You have the option of going with a photo of the two of you doing something fun or just a view that you think the other person will like. Here are a few different possibilities you could consider when presenting someone with a photo gift:
- Choose a beautiful memory. You could pick a time when you and your friend did something fun together such as hiking the Grand Canyon or river rafting. Even if you haven’t done anything extremely adventurous, traveling photos also make good gifts. A photo of you and your friend in front of the Eiffel tower or London’s Houses of Parliament will invoke the memories of that trip.
- Think about composition. Obviously, you want to avoid photos with red eye or photos which came out blurry. Sometimes, when you’re taking photographs on the go, you end up doing so in a hurry. So the composition isn’t perfect. Look through your photos to find one in which you can see the faces clearly and the view in the background is properly captured. For example, a photo of the Eiffel tower where the top gets cut off isn’t going to look as good as one where you can see the entire thing.
- Think about color. You want to choose a photo where the colors are bright and eye-catching. Usually, photos taken on sunny days will be more saturated with color than photos taken on cloudy days. This doesn’t mean that muted colors can’t look good too. If you’re going for a softer, more diffuse look, you could pick something less saturated.
- Think about where your friend might hang the photo. If you’re getting the photo printed on a tile, it will probably go on a mantel or a desk. A photo printed on canvas or metal will likely go on the wall. Of course, a photo doesn’t have to blend in completely with someone’s décor but it does have to complement it. Someone whose interiors are more modern-looking will probably like something in stark black and white while someone with a hacienda-type home will probably appreciate a very colorful photo of natural scenery.
- Think about your friend’s personality. Is your friend someone who loves the outdoors? In that case, a photo of natural scenery will appeal to him/her. Those who have large families and many friends will like photos of friends and family. Those who are into spirituality might like something mentally calming like a sunset.